Saturday, February 25, 2012

Easiest Fabric-covered bulletin board ever





  Here is the easiest craft I think I have ever done, and I didn't buy a gosh darn thing for it! I pulled out my sewing machine today to mend a few clothes that I have been putting off for a while now (a comforter that Honey cut the tag off of a little too close, a fallen hem on Honey's fave superhero PJ pants, you know... the usual). When I took my supplies out, I remembered that I had bought way too much fabric when I made my sewing machine cover a few months ago. I've also been trying to figure out what to do with my plain Jane bulletin board that I use to pin up my card orders and other craft reminders. So I "two birds with one stone"d it, and Voila! I used the fabric, AND I've got a new (looking) board.


Use a craft spatula to squeeze the fabric into the crevice between the cork and the frame

  Lucky for me, the fabric scrap was almost the exact size it needed to be. Start off by ironing the fabric (unlike me, who forgot and had to iron it once itwas already in the board and against the cork- oops). The key is that the fabric is just about 1 inch longer and wider than the opening (exposed cork). Too small, and it won't cover the cork, too big and it won't stuff under the frame (check out the picture above). I was going to use craft glue to secure it in place, but its unnecessary and I wasn't sure I was ready to commit to this fabric. I like the idea of being able to change out the fabric with the seasons. I used my Cricut craft spatula to smoosh the tiny bit of extra fabric into the crevice between the cork and the frame. You want something super thin, and with rounder edges. In a pinch I guess you could use something like a paint/spackle spatula, but I would worry about the sharp corners poking holes in the fabric rather than tucking it under the frame. Well, there you have it... as I tell my students: "easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy"!

No comments:

Post a Comment